Join us on sample date
Join us on sample date
Thank you for lacing up with The Michael J. Fox Foundation (MJFF) in 2022. We rely on the dedication of our community to help us reach our ultimate finish line -- a cure for Parkinson's disease (PD). As a participant, you are making a difference: 100 percent of the proceeds you raise go directly to the Foundation's research programs to speed a cure for Parkinson's disease. Below are tips to help you reach your personal and team fundraising goals.
10 Tips for Fantastic Fundraising:
1. Set a fundraising goal and share it. Let friends and family know your goal so they can help you reach it!
2. Make the first contribution to yourself. Kick start your fundraising and show supporters that you are personally committed (plus, earn your first digital badge!)
3. Personalize your message. Your supporters want to hear why you care about finding a cure for PD - and how they can help. We have templates for your fundraising pages, emails, and social posts, but your words, photos, and inspiration will make your story shine.
4. Identify your networks of support. Brainstorm people and groups you know: Your network is bigger than you realize. Take time to map out your connections and consider who to reach out to and how, whether through email, social media, or snail mail. Start by thinking about:
- Friends and family
- Current/ former colleagues and classmates
- Your professional, volunteer or spiritual networks
- Your social, hobby or recreational groups
Be sure to think outside of your direct connections. There are many people whose lives have been affected by Parkinson’s disease and may be interested in supporting you and the cause.
5. Start with a small fundraising initiative. For example, organize a virtual game night, Facebook watch party, online auction, or video conference happy hour. Be creative!
6. Keep your donors engaged. Update your supporters on your efforts via email, social media, and regular communication -- and ask them to help spread the word. Let them know how your fundraising and training is going and when you hit milestones!
7. Follow up on donation asks. Now more than ever, the volume of email and social media communication can be overwhelming, and you may have trouble reaching your supporters. Remember that people often intend to donate, but then forget to follow through. It’s okay to remind them! Most donations are made within two weeks of the event date.
8. Emphasize the impact of donor support. Learn more about what The Michael J. Fox Foundation is doing to accelerate research and let your supporters know that they are contributing to that progress. Help educate your donors on how their dollars and your efforts are making a tangible difference for people with Parkinson’s and their loved ones. Start with The Michael J. Fox Foundation’s impact.
9. Utilize matching gift opportunities. Encourage your supporters to explore their employer’s matching gift programs. Many corporations will match their employee’s donations to an accredited charitable organization. It's an easy way to double, or even triple, the impact of a personal contribution. Direct them to our online resources for matching gift programs. If an employer does not come up in the results, contact the specific Human Resources department.
10. Say “thank you.” Take the time to express your gratitude in a meaningful way. Make your supporters feel a part of your efforts. For example, send a personal thank you note or email to everyone who donates. Make sure to send a final update with your fundraising totals to share your gratitude.